Butternut Squash Soup
Coconut Milk – Coconut milk is a mix of coconut water and coconut meat and so holds the benefits of both. It contains the amazing electrolytes of coconut water, helping to hydrate the body and also contains the lauric acid of the meat. Lauric acid acts as a natural antiviral, antibacterial and antiprotozoal, assisting the body in warding off infection. Coconut milk is also a good source for selenium and zinc.
Turmeric – Turmeric’s health benefits are almost unsurpassed. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory, rivaling NSAIDS, and without the negative side effects. It has also shown pronounced cancer preventative benefit, in addition to preventing heart disease and degenerative neurological diseases. Turmeric can be used fresh or powdered, but fresh is always preferable.
Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is made up primarily of medium chain triglycerides. The MCT fats are shown, in a balanced diet to cause thermogenesis. This is a process where the body will burn the fat, use it for energy, rather than store it. This reinforces how coconut oil aids in weight loss, and contrary to popular understanding, it is actually preventative in heart disease. The fats in Hemp oil is the only edible seed that contains GLA and is also filled with omega 6 & omega 3. These fats can help with supporting nervous system health. Stress plays such a strong role in upsetting the nervous system and subsequently spiking blood sugar. Using beneficial fats to support the nervous system will support stabilizing blood sugar.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 Tb. coconut oil
- 3 c. unsweetened coconut milk or veggie broth
- 1-2 c. pure water
- 1 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1 tsp. powdered cinnamon
- ½ tsp. powdered turmeric or ¼ in. fresh turmeric root
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
• Pre-heat oven to 375. Cut squash in half and remove seeds.
• Grease a baking sheet with part of the coconut oil. Use the remaining oil to rub on the flesh of the squash.
• Place squash on baking sheet flesh down and bake for 40 minutes. After squash is done, scoop out all the meat and place in high speed blender.
• Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.